When Rajini had asked Ravi to stop composing music

Superstar Rajinikanth had stumped Crazy Star V Ravichandran when the former asked him to stop composing music. Well, the startling revelation was made by none other than Ravichandran in a TV show recently. Ravichandran said that during 2002-03, one fine morning he was shocked to see the Tamil supertstar Rajinikanth, a close pal, at his doorstep. When he wondered why the superstar had come calling, Rajini politely asked Ravichandran for a favour: the superstar wanted Ravichandran to stop scoring music for his films.

For the record, Ravichandran and Hamsalekha (music director and lyricist) were household names in Karnataka as the pair had many musical hits to their credit. However, later, the duo split and Ravi chandran started composing music for his films.

However, in the initial years, Ravichandran's music did not appeal much to the audience and that was the time when Rajini approached Ravichandran with the strange request. "I was sad that Ekangi had not performed well at the box office. Even after six months or so, I was reeling from the loss of the film. I stopped myself from indulging in any film activity. My friends and family were upset. Then, my family members and I were invited for a party by friends. There I was forced to promise that I would once again work for a new movie and I heeded their request. This was when I started working on my new project Malla for which I was scoring the music.

When Malla's music was getting ready, Rajini came home with this strange request. I think someone from my family or industry told him that music was taking a toll on my acting career. I was stunned, but I took him to the studio and made him listen to all the songs of Malla and asked him if he still wanted me to stop composing music. If he had said yes, then I would have quit my career as a musician. However, after listening to Malla's songs, Rajini sir was so mesmerised that he merely smiled and said he couldn't say anything more and since then my journey as music director has also continued," said Ravi , adding that Malla's songs were now part of history as one of the best-selling albums.

Ravichandran also recalled how his all-time hit Premaloka was actually considered as a big flop in initial days. "Premaloka may be a landmark movie today, but when it was released, it wasn't greeted with cheers. Even my father Veeraswamy was tense. It was doing low business for the first few weeks. However, as the movie reached the 10th week, it picked up so much that it ran houseful for the next many weeks. Premaloka is considered one of the finest Kannada movies now," Ravi recalled

Post a Comment

0 Comments