In Bollywood everybody does Ungli!: Emraan Hashmi

Emraan Hashmi has come a long way in Bollywood. He may not have started with a big production house or big budget films, but today he has bagged a Karan Johar production Ungli. He has a loyal fan following, which is mostly massy and largely men. With Ungli up for release, After Hrs caught up with the actor for a tete-a-tete...

Tell us about the item song Dance Basanti with Shraddha Kapoor?
It was fun. I think most of the songs in the film are such that they have recall value. Be itDance Basanti or Pakeezah. As for working with Shraddha, it was really good. She is a fantastic actress and a very good dancer. And yeah, the makers even managed to convince me to dance.

You are teaming up with Kangana Ranaut after a long time. Has your equation changed?
You know, Kangana made her acting debut with me in Gangster which I think was around eight years ago. Since then she has come a long way and is an amazing actress. In this film, her role is more sporty and the story is about five friends fighting the system. So the love story is a sub plot. Gangster was more of love story. Raaz had horror and love story as a part of it. So I think Kangana and I have done our best to enhance whatever was expected from us. As far as the chemistry goes, we have achieved quite a bit but then you can't do more than what is on the paper.

There are reports that your co-star Randeep Hooda is not promoting the film as much as others? Is there a problem?
That you'll have to ask Randeep. As an actor, I allot certain amount of time to act, perform and promote my films. And I don't look behind my shoulder and see what the other is doing. Every actor has a certain way of working. I share a fantastic relation with Randeep otherwise. There is no bad blood. We have done films earlier as well and even Kangana has worked with him in few films.

The film is being sold on your name. You have even shot a promotional video. Do you feel the pressure is more on you?
I don't think about all these things. If you succumb to pressure, then you won't enjoy your work. It will take away the fun element from your work. I have worked in the film and given my best shot so I am happy to lend my name.

Will you ever do a typical bollywood masala film to gain that Rs 100 crore or Rs 200 crore box-office status?
I just can't. I would rather do a film which I believe in than do a trashy film which will make a lot of money at the box office. That's how it is for me.

Everybody wants to see you and Alia Bhatt together onscreen. When will that happen?
She will have to play my sister in the film otherwise it will be twisted. And the thing is so far in none my films I have had a sister. That's the rule. Emraan Hashmi can't have a sister in a film (laughs). So far, nobody has offered us a script. We'll do a film if it justifies our coming together.

What is your equation with the Bhatts because every now and then negative stories keep floating?
The kind of relationship we share is hard to understand(laughs). And, I don't mind the negative stories either!