Wealthy Wednesdays: How to control your spending impulses

Saving now translates to vacation later
I spend the most on clothes and gadgets. Clothes, because getting stuff in my size is difficult, so when I find something that I like and that fits me, I buy as much as I can, even if it costs a fair amount.  With gadgets, I'm crazy about having the latest Apple one; even if I don't buy it as soon as it's out, I eventually do. This time, even though I'm dying to get my hands on the iPhone 6, I'm holding back, asking myself if I really need it, or if I can make mine last at least another year. For clothes, shoes and bags, I've told myself that if I have no place to keep it, I can't buy it. I tell myself that if I don't shop, I can save the money and go on an amazing vacation, which is what I did last month. I buy clothes that are not rooted in a particular trend. I prefer timeless elegant outfits, as compared to those that are in fashion. So if I lose or put on weight, even when I'm older, I don't need to buy new outfits, I just need to go through my wardrobe.
–Claudelle Monis

Impulse buys means a pending wish list
I love shoes and food. So I try to wait for sales and limit myself to pairs that I have had my eye on for a while. 
I also try to limit my fine-dining outings to just 2-3 a month. I have a fixed rule 'No impulse buys'. I maintain a wish list; whenever I see something I like either in a magazine or on a mannequin, that item goes on the wish list. If I make an impulse purchase then I'm not allowed to buy one thing off my wish list for the next month.
–Priyanka Narvekar

Invest before spending
I have a weakness for shoes and watches. At the beginning of every month I invest 40% of my income in mutual funds. I avoid going shopping on my weekly offs or public holidays, but I do splurge when I'm travelling. Before I buy something, though, I ask myself, 'Do I really NEED this, or is it something I just WANT?'
–Samantha Furtado

Simple budgeting 
I love travelling, but I do only budget trips. I do a lot of research to get the best flight deals as well as other deals. I make separate FDs every year only for travel, or I use the interest gained on other FDs. I try to do at least one international trip a year. However, this year I didn't manage to do even one. So I've already booked my tickets for two trips next year. I also try not to spend too much on shopping; so I make my own clothes. 
–Jolanda Gonsalves

If you have second thoughts
I'm mad about clothes. So much so that they're falling out of my cupboard. So no space, no buy! I avoid going to the shopping streets and shops that I like. I will determinedly not walk in to Marks and Spencers, when I'm at High Street Phoenix. If I haven't seen their latest arrivals, I don't know what I'm missing. If I'm really excited and really want something, I buy it. If I have picked up something from the rack and I start feeling guilty or have second thoughts, I put it back. I know if I have second thoughts and I still buy it, I will regret it later. After an hour or two I forget about it and if I don't, then I know I really want it and I can go back.
–Priyanka Dharwadkar

Post a Comment

0 Comments