Steve Ballmer says final goodbye to Microsoft

Steve Ballmer, hired by Bill Gates in 1980 as Microsoft's first business manager, has stepped down from the company's board. Earlier in February, he resigned from his post of CEO, making way for India-born Satya Nadella to take control of one of the world's biggest technology companies.

Ballmer conveyed his decision to leave the Board of Directors in a letter that was made public by Microsoft on Tuesday. However, the letter was apparently written last week after Ballmer bought Clippers, a Seattle-based basketball team, for $2 billion.
In the letter addressed to Nadella, Ballmer wrote, "In the six months since leaving (the post of CEO), I have become very busy. I see a combination of the Clippers, civic contribution, teaching and study taking a lot of time. Given my confidence and the multitude of new commitments I am taking on now, I think it would be impractical for me to continue to serve on the board, and it is best for me to move off. My departure from the board is effective immediately."
However, he added that he would continue to hold the large amount of company shares that he owned. "I hold more Microsoft shares than anyone other than index funds and love the mix of profits, investments and dividends returned in our stock. I expect to continue holding that position for the foreseeable future. I promise to support and encourage boldness by management in my role as a shareholder in any way I can," said Ballmer.
In his reply Nadella thanked Ballmer for his contribution to the company and said he "look forward to partnering with you as a shareholder".
For Ballmer, Microsoft was one his biggest passions. In his letter, he made it clear that even though he was formally out of Microsoft for all practical purposes, he would keep an eye on the company. "I bleed Microsoft - have for 34 years and I always will. I continue to love discussing the company's future. I love trying new products and sending feedback. I love reading about what is going on at the company. Count on me to keep ideas and inputs flowing," he said.

Post a Comment

0 Comments